What you will do
You will be a member of a six-person team responsible for maintaining and evolving the operational infrastructure for the .nz ccTLD. You will work closely with our research and policy team as well as software developers to advance our DNS platform and implement the bedrock of the New Zealand Internet space.
Our organisation has the responsibility of providing a core service for New Zealand to the entire world and accordingly you will be granted autonomy to see the service done well. We heavily invest in infrastructure that is reliable, secure and manageable. You will automate operations extensively for the sake of security, compliance, and resilience. Our focus on automation means that you will have some software engineering skills and be able to drive a project to accomplish these goals.
The DNS platform is comprised of name server software, switching, anycast, and HSMs deployed in avariety of data centres across New Zealand. DNSSEC, using the OpenDNSSEC signer software, hasbeen fully deployed for all our zones. You will engage with third-party providers regarding the delivery of.nz nationally and overseas.
We have been extensively involved in the development of DNSSEC standards and tools and the signingof the root nameservers. Our preference is to use open source software and to contribute back to the open source community.
What we are looking for
Effective engineers know how to properly prioritise, have a great work ethic and communicate well. We will be looking for those skills in candidates.
As well as these skills you will need:
- a working familiarity with large scale name server infrastructure and
- knowledge of DNS, DNSSEC, routing protocols including BGP
- a team-first attitude, automation, tests and documentation critical to a functional team
- we provide 24 hour on-call support and so a willingness to be on-call and to provide support to the on-call team for escalated issues is essential for this position. The on-call time is split between theteam of six people.
Skills you'll need to develop
We like Python, but we're open to change. Ansible is used for all system management, with each infrastructure role being testable. Testing this infrastructure is a key ongoing skill.
You'll need to gain domain specific knowledge regarding the .nz registry software, but given the custom-nature of that we don't expect that coming in to the role.
What can we offer you?
Along with a great team environment, we have a range of benefits to offer including:
- life and critical illness insurance
- paid home internet connection and cellphone contract
- support for engaging the wider DNS community, attending and presenting at conferences
- additional Kiwisaver contributions
- 4.5 weeks annual leave
- 10 days sick leave
- Long Service Leave
- a strong commitment to training and development.
If applying from offshore a relocation package may be available.
If you are interested in this vacancy send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your covering letter please outline how your experience matches what we are looking for.